Tuesday 1 November 2011

Group Presentation 1

Group Web Report

Building a website is something new to me. I’ve never created nor even considered building one. Building a website can be a daunting task, however thanks to technology; the presets are all in place. Going to wix or a free and easy start up makes life so much easier. If I don’t know how to manipulate certain functions, I can always look up the internet or Youtube.


This week we had our first batch of group presentations.

-Social media and us
The group presenting on social media did a good job in terms of presenting their information. They did use a fair bit of timelines and comparisons. This instead of just presenting facts helps human beings like us to be better interested. Somehow we as humans are comparative. Our eye detects change very well and loves contrast, a change in smell and sound is noticed, but fades away after a while if it is constant. What I'm trying to get at is that this group has presented us with contrast.


-Technology and the arts

Yu Han stunned me today with her way of presentation. It was both great and queer. The transition from the other speaker to her managed to catch my attention. There were a few reasons for this and I think as SMU students we should try to learn the good points of the presentation and integrate it in our learning.
First off, her voice is loud. She has a better variance in pitch and tone. Albert Mehrabian talks about the 7-38-55 liking rule. The way she talks already captured 38% of the liking.

It is also interesting to mention that because of her knowledge in this area of the arts, being a piano instructor and probably an art enthusiast, she has managed to bring out interesting facts about the various art pieces and does so confidently.



-Technology for the physically disabled.
The group who made this presentation chose to start off by connecting with us emotionally. Though I have watched that video clip, I still felt that this was a good reminder for me. This use of emotional means to connect to the listeners has a more lasting impact, and as I studied in psychology, you will probably remember it for a longer period of time.

In their website, they used the heading problems and solutions separately, I can only partially agree with their method. Many of these solutions can be linked to their problems. Unfortunately it is not.


No comments:

Post a Comment